Saturday, January 8, 2011

How Is That Possible?

I find that providing content for my crappy little corner of the universe here can be daunting sometimes. I've made some commitments for 2011 that require a great deal of time and like most things in the real world - they all end up taking precedence over the internet.

So, of course I end up on the internet anyway, and my other commitments will just have to take care of themselves. But, I have real intentions of having a novel ready to shop around to agents, publishers and the like by March of this year. So I've got some work to do to try and make something presentable by then.

Interesting only to me, I'm sure, is the fact that I've got numerous drafts of novels I've written to choose from. This is the first time I've had to suck it up and make a real choice about what I'm trying to get accomplished. No more just moving on the next thing , I'm really, really, trying to get one piece complete enough for submission.

What is it? Why, I'm glad you asked. The only novel I've ever managed to get any revision done on: The Blutonian Death Egg. And you just thought it was just the name of my blog. Jokes on everyone I suppose.

So, I stopped my work in progress, which was the mess that was November's Nano, and pulled out my beloved novel, first conceived way back in 2005, I believe, while working out at the gym.

I reread my second draft that I finished, more or less, back in 2008. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I recalled putting it away in a tit of frustration because I felt like I was writing complete and utter drivel and came dangerously close to scrapping the whole thing. But as I read the thing this week I was swept away in the story and got all googly eyed thinking about it.

So there it is, a gem just waiting for the world to see. It still has a plot hole or two that needs some tending to, a typo or three that needs correction, and still a loose end or four that never got tied up. It'll still take diligent work for a couple of months to get this thing as good as I can get it. But damn. I'm actually excited.

So excited in fact, that in case anyone failed to notice, I did a mock-up of a space scene to serve as a header for the blog. After appreciating my own work, I, of course, found that similar scenes pepper the internet. I'm somewhat annoyed that so many folks have stolen the concept of my artistic endeavor well before I had a chance to create it. Shame on everyone who preemptively stole my idea, and did it better than I could.

Note the tiny shuttle near the asteroid. Such detail!


Still, I think I have dibs on the word Blutionian, so I have that going for me.

So, I hope to post here as close to regular as I can. But I also hope that I'm writing/revising/editing so much that I just don't have the time.

Good luck to all. Please wish me well.

5 comments:

Mister Sharaf said...

gl man, interesting blog

A Beer for the Shower said...

Rusty, good luck with getting your edit on. It's my absolute least favorite thing in the world to do. In fact, I remember opting to flat out re-write my first manuscript rather than even attempt editing.

I dig the new blog header too. And it's got me wondering, what exactly is The Blutonian Death Egg? I promise not to steal the name:)

Rusty Carl said...

Thanks Mister Sharaf

Hey Brandon - or Bryan. Hmmm... I guess I'll have to just refer to you as Mr. Beer. I confess I did actually do a rewrite from scratch as well. I did use that first draft as an outline I suppose.

The Blutonian Death Egg? It's the McGuffin, more or less, of the novel.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read it. You are a phenomenal writer and I think what the world has seen so far is much less than what you can actually do. I hoped you would pick the novel named that since it is the name of your blog it seemed fitting. Nice that you have so many completed drafts to choose from. I usually flit and flutter from one to the next only having finished the one novel length story. I'm piddling around on one I started thinking that maybe I might have it done for March, we'll see.

Rusty Carl said...

Thanks N. It is nice to have so many drafts to choose from. I'd easily trade 3 drafts for one complete novel though. It's whole "making it good" part that seems to get me flummoxed.

Good luck getting your story done. Work fast. March will be here soon.