Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Last Sales Update


From time to time, I like to post my sales figures, just to let people know where I stand in regards to the relative success of my short story I’ve posted on various online ebook outlets. I think information should be free and freely available, shared and all that.

That’s kind of a guiding principal in my life, I tend to share stuff to people if they ask, and I like knowing stuff. Not necessarily anyone’s personal business, but things that are kept arbitrarily secret for no real reason bugs me some.

However, it was brought to my attention recently that publishing my sales figures could very well be a breach of the terms of service for those aforementioned ebook retailers, and they would be perfectly within their rights to pull my measly little short story and shut down my seller account.

Along with my desire to see information be free, I am somewhat pragmatic, and don’t have a burning desire to rail against the world for my terms of service agreement, which I did, after all, agree to. Not real sure I could expect to sway too many people to my way of thinking on this one, so I’m nipping this in the bud and caving to the draconian demands of my ebook selling overlords: No future sales numbers from me.

Also, on an unrelated note, I got an email from Amazon letting me know that my ebook will be available in Italy. I’m not saying that they opened up the whole country just for my little short story that has sold XX number of copies. But there is a bit of a spaghetti western vibe going on there, and I’d like to think they saw some potential and so decided to give it a go.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Well sometimes it's best to go quietly. Congrats on Italy. Perhaps some Sergio Leone type will be calling via a translator to ask about film rights. Here's to huge success for you and your story, which I have to get myself.

PT Dilloway said...

Your story can't be sold in Italy because you have to have the 70% royalty, which can only be used on eBooks $2.99 and up if I recall correctly.

julie fedderson said...

"Spaghetti western vibe." You made me snort laugh. Have a great day, Rusty.

Rusty Carl said...

Melissa - yes, this film rights are currently up for grabs. Let the bidding begin.

Dr Grumpy - if you say so I won't argue the point. But if so, I think the email I received is incorrect.

Julie - of course, by 'vibe' I mean poorly researched and logically flawed. But that still counts.

Jay Noel said...

I know a bunch of indie writers that still post sales figures anyway. I guess Amazon doesn't want us to go backwards and figure out their algorithms or whatever. Geez. We're writers. We don't do math.

by the way, I LOVE your book cover for A Dead God's Wrath. Who did the art for it?

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

That sounds awesome. Best of luck to you.

PT Dilloway said...

Actually I think I'm wrong. I can see my book in the Italian store and it's only 99 cents. Though are many Italians going to buy it in English there? Maybe I should put it in stereotypical Italian-English by having people yell "Mama mia!" a lot.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I don't think Amazon has any rules about posting sales figures. I see a lot of authors posting theirs. I don't tho because mine are too embarrassingly low to share LOL.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amazon is taking over the world - you just watch!
My publisher had let me know Amazon was opening up in two more countries, which is really cool.

Andrew said...

Even without knowing your sales, they're still beating mine. Even if you've had no sales since the last time you posted them, mine haven't caught up.
Is there a logical reason not to post your sales? If it is the case that you can't, I really just don't get that.
Unless they're worried about sales being compared in the various outlets?
I have a word, but I'm going to refrain from using it.

Laila Knight said...

Oh wow! Italy...that sounds awesome. I'll bet you never thought the whole of Rome would be reading your book.

I'm sure I'm going to love it. :)

M.J. Fifield said...

That's exciting about Italy. Best wishes!

Laura said...

Fairy snuff - and yay for italy!
Lx

Rusty Carl said...

Michael - thanks

Dr. Grumpy - If it matters, I'm pretty sure you were correct until very recently, like when they sent the letter. Good luck with the Mamma Mia editions of your work!

Karen - I think it's hidden in the TOS agreement. I saw where a lawyer (I think it was a lawyer) wrote an article about it. I totally forgot where I read it now.

Alex - Yep, they might be a monopoly before long. Scary.

Andrew - I will try to find the link to the story I read. But I don't think there is a good reason. They do what they do.

Laila - Too funny. Yes, I hope the pope enjoys it.

MJ - Thanks, I was using Hyperbole however, I don't expect much by way of real sales.

Laura - yes, hoorah!

M Pax said...

I got the same email about Italy. Some other countries, too. Don't remember which ones.

Nancy said...

Now you can say you are an international author.