Wednesday, August 6, 2014

IWSG: The Blogfader

Hi all, it's been a while since I was here. But it's IWSG, brought to you by the indomitable Alex J Cavanaugh, whose dreams of a day where writers can blubber about all that scares them have come true, at least on the first Wednesday of each month.

This month, like every month, I'm really interested in talking about me. But instead of discussing my never complete manuscripts, or my paralyzing fear of rejection, I wanted to talk about a thing that I think is real, except I don't recall where I heard it from, so it's at least possible I made it up:

Blogfade

It's a term I made up (if you think it's a cool term, if you think it's lame, then I'm just borrowing it - I heard it elsewhere) to describe people like me who just sort of slow down blogging to the point that they're sort of fading into the night.

I'd complained for a very long time about the real world keeping me away from the interwebs for so long that it's tough for me to visit anyone nowadays. But the truth of the matter is that I think I'm at a spot right now where I probably could start blogging again.

But I haven't.

Like a lot of things, I have choices to make with my time. I've dreamt of being a big-shot author for a long time now. I talked about writing for many years before I actually wrote, and it's been about 10 since I wrote my first draft of a novel (A novel, btw, the blog is named after).

And about 5 years ago I decided I was really close to being a super-famous author and decided to start this blog. And in that time I managed to self-publish a few short stories, have one or two appear in the occasional anthology, and that's about it.

I started this as an investment. In a belief that I could commit to this and just make it part of who I am. Now, I'm starting to think this is the sort of thing that I just won't be keeping up for much longer.

I'm going to try to pick it back up. But it's there in the back of my mind, that one day I'll look up and it will have been a year since I posted, or two, or ten. It makes me sad. Especially since I'm not exactly moving on to bigger things.

So, wish me luck.

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's like anything when it's new and shiny - it's exciting and you're caught up in it. You're caught in the euphoria. Like love. And it wears off after a while. Then it becomes work and a quest to find new ways to keep it exciting.
Be a shame if you faded.
And I still say that first novel you wrote is awesome.

stu said...

Definitely suffering from this too. Nice to have a word for it now.

PT Dilloway said...

A lot of people don't do much blogging in summer, so it probably doesn't matter that much right now. Most of my blog ran on autopilot last year, so it's been tougher now having to actually try to think of stuff again.

PT Dilloway said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I totally understand. When I started blogging I would post two to three times a week, now I'm lucky to do one. Life is full of decisions, and some things take precedence over blogging.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I'm wishing you luck, Rusty. I'm thinking maybe this is a good thing. Maybe it's time to become enthralled with the simple joy of writing. No thoughts of why or what might happen. Just the zone of being inside your characters. Maybe? Happy IWSG.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Hope you get back into it. Blogfade... I've seen it happen.

Loni Townsend said...

Best of luck! I haven't interacted with you much outside of IWSG, but I hope you find a passion for blogging again.

Loni

M Pax said...

A lot of us cut back on blogging. I'm at 1x a week now. You do what you can and you have to love what you do. Maybe if you write about something you love, you'd find it easier.

Andrew Leon said...

I think there's just a part of it, like writing, where you have to just decide you're going to do it and keep doing it no matter how you feel about it.
If you wait to feel like doing it, you'll never do it.

Anonymous said...

I wish you luck and ... as someone tempted to blog fade myself! I've found the only thing that has kept me going has been my weekly flash fiction submissions - and having a community that does it too. If IWSG once a month works maybe look around for a daily or weekly group. That said, I keep thinking I need to post more. It's hard, I think because blogging is SO personal. I even prefer blogging for third-parties, preferably anonymously so that No One Need Ever Know. (Isn't that crazy?) Best of luck whatever you decide, but I hope you don't fade.

Nancy Gideon said...

The best intentions . . . and then life happens. It's nobody's fault. We just slowly migrate in another direction until the separation is so large it's impossible to go back. Remember fondly and move on. And if you just can't shake it, revisit.

S. L. Hennessy said...

Ah, blogfade. Almost as bad as writer's block. Been there before. Good luck getting your blogging mojo back!

Maurice Mitchell said...

You'll find success Rusty. You have a great attitude.

Heather R. Holden said...

I've been experiencing a bit of blogfade, myself. Good luck getting the hang of the blogosphere again!

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Just do it...whatever IT is, I am 55 and finally focusing on my writing and returning for a degree in such. I also struggle with my blog and so I started 3 more. How insane was that? I for one enjoy this blog and your "voice" very much. Please don't go.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Just do it...whatever IT is, I am 55 and finally focusing on my writing and returning for a degree in such. I also struggle with my blog and so I started 3 more. How insane was that? I for one enjoy this blog and your "voice" very much. Please don't go.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Perhaps you should change the theme of your blog to one where you talk about your art. I think that might be more interesting for you.

dolorah said...

I liked that first novel, even though I was pretty rough on you in the critique. You have an amazing talent for sci fi Rusty, you just need to buckle down and really focus on it.

But, I understand about the fading part. I take more blog breaks than necessary lately, and tend to focus on my paying job than on the creative outlet.

Hopefully you'll keep at the writing, even as a hobby that submits short stories here and there. Good luck Sir, with all your endeavors.

Briane said...

I've cut way back on blogging, after deciding that I didn't like it as much (and it wasn't paying like it used to.) So I understand.

But I haven't cut back on writing. I'm doing more of that than ever. And I'm going back and editing all the things I've written over the past couple years to put them into a book or get them published.

I like your blog, but I would WAY rather see a sequel to Dead God, or read "The Blutonian Death Egg" than a blog post, so if you're trying to cater to me (as all smart marketers do), there's your reader survey.

Also, in all seriousness: IWM should do a "forgotten story" anthology: those stories that we've all written and then set aside and never come back to.

OR you should put "Blutonian Death Egg" as an extra in one of our books. I'd package it with "Stupid Pineapple."

Cindy said...

I know this is going to sound negative but blogging is a ton of work that doesn't really amount to anything for most people. This is simply because most people can't put the time into it consistently, so why be concerned about it? Although I like to hear from you. I decided to blog once a month and I only get about 2 comments, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Ah, blogfade. I've seen it quite a few times, and I've come close, myself. When I started, I was blogging four times per week. Now it's two, and I occasionally skip a Monday post, though not Wednesday posts. I like the blogging community, but my plate is full, so it's tug of war right now. Good luck with your writing!

SpacerGuy said...

Welcome back, Rusty. You missed us didn't you? I can well imagine Captain Kirk extending his hand saying, Da*n it Rusty, we need you... because we do!