Monday, November 21, 2011

My Nano Disaster

A metaphor for my novel
That's a strong word - disaster. I'll just call it a bit of an oversight. You see, a large portion of what I thought was the plot for my current story is actually not a plot. Yeah, I know, a rookie mistake. I thought I had a this great meta-story and then this really good personal story to tell. You know, love and betrayal, all that.

Well, that meta-story is really more like a backdrop. You know, like WWII isn't a plot for most novels, it's something that's going in the background while the actual plot unfolds.

Oops.

I'm not writing a literary novel, and I don't think I can carry the story using just the love pentagon I've developed. Sigh. Problems problems.

Even when I take the day off work, Monday's still find a way to suck.

8 comments:

Tonja said...

My story took an unexpected path. I think it's possible I will edit out a lot of what I wrote yesterday. It's good to try ideas even if they don't work out.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't think of it as the aftermath of a disaster. Maybe the storm blew you in another direction and you discovered a new country!
Hey, you know I have to look at the bright side. It's my nature.

Anonymous said...

Question: Do you like your story?
If the answer is yes, then outline and create an arc, create a plot and write it in.

If no - scrap and either rewrite or start a new project.

It happens to all of us!

Don't doubt your talent. The difference between those that succeed and those that don't is moxie.

PT Dilloway said...

Since it's Nano you might as well keep going. The point is to rack up words, not write a good story. Or just type "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over again.

Lauri said...

You know, the great thing about NaNo is that you don't have to have a plot or a cohesive story. If you like something about this story, the characters, or the setting, or the theme - I would stick with it and explore and let yourself play in that world and see what comes of it.

Rusty Carl said...

Tonja - Well, I'm glad I have company. Most of my paths have been unexpected so far.

Alex - a perfect counterbalance to me, I suppose.

Kim - Sigh. I've been getting tired of outlining, I haven't been following it anyway. I'm going free willy the rest of the way on this one.

Dr. Grumpy - congrats on earning your doctorate in awesomeness. I'm thinking of adding 'very' a few thousand times... and a few more adverbs in each sentence. That ought to get across the finish line.

Lauri - Yes, I'm thinking about having the characters stop for a meal and then start listing the ingredients of the canned goods in my house. That'll shake things up.

Andrew said...

If we're tossing out ideas, I think you should throw in a flying monkey from space. Because, seriously, how can you go wrong with a flying monkey from space?

M Pax said...

You can fix it later. I find writing more helps me work it out. Or yoga. Or a shower. Or doing something mindless ...