Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for... Crappy Software

A to Z day 3! Click here to see the entrants that are participating this year. For those of you that might be just visiting for the day, I'm attempting to do a cover from concept to completion during the month. So far it's not going real well.

I left off yesterday mentioning I'd have a different concept for today. What I didn't plan on is photoshop crashing. In fact, I was so confident that it wouldn't crash that I spent 4 hours working on my concept without bothering to save. Not even once.

I'm sure everyone knows where this is going. All is lost. Everything (From concept #2). But, I did have a sky I'd previously added to yesterday's picture. I liked it quite a bit, even if it looks odd without anything else having any color. Future concepts will have to wait. I'll try again tomorrow.
Sigh. 
Happy Day!

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Save often. And the bigger the project, the more likely Photoshop will crash.
The sky is very cool though.

mshatch said...

oh no, I'm so sorry. There's nothing worse than forgetting to save :( except maybe death. Okay, and maybe a few other things. But you have my complete sympathy, because I've been there and it sucks.

Andrew Leon said...

Oh, man, I hate that. The crashing, not the sky. The sky is cool. It, like, rips my soul any time something like that happens, and I don't ever want to have to go back an do it again.

mooderino said...

I think this is all good stuff, showing the process how it really happens, painful as it can be.

mood
Moody Writing

Briane said...

sorry about the crashing.

I went and read "B" to and while I'm no artist, re: the problem of it being a wraparound cover.

What if you flip the picture: Put the tunnel on the right, so it's on the front cover, and then have kid's shadow overlapping from the back cover, and maybe the shadow could look evil, like instead of the kid it's a devil or something?

OR this:

Tunnel on the right. Kid right in front of the tunnel. Shadow stretching BEHIND him onto the back cover where when the reader looks the shadow is the Man With No Eyes looming over the kid, only the kid doesn't see him because HE'S ON THE BACK COVER! BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry. I'll leave it to the artists. But I kind of like the picture with the sky and no colors. Looks artsy.

Margo Kelly said...

Hi! Sorry for the crash! I'm visiting from the IWSG, but I'm also participating in the A to Z Challenge! I hope you have a marvelous week! :)

Tony Laplume said...

It looketh nice.

S. L. Hennessy said...

It's for reasons like this that I friggin hate technology. I won't be surprised at all when the machines rise up against us haha. This is just the preview.

Nicole said...

Hope you're back up and running soon.

M.J. Fifield said...

That sucks about the crash! I hate technology for that reason.

The sky's gorgeous though.

Jo said...

Not only save, but backup, backup, backup. Sorry to hear about the crash. Love the sky though.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It is a very cool looking sky. Can't wait to check back and see more.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Crappy software sucks. Glad your drawing is coming along.

Trisha said...

OH NO! that sucks :( I hate that horrible sunken feeling when something like this happens!