Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H is for... Holy Crap!

I've really got to start writing these earlier.

It's Day... um, eight, for the A to Z challenge. I have challenged myself to go from concept to completion for a cover of Andrew Leon's upcoming novel, Shadow Spinner. Read about what other folks are doing this month by clicking... HERE.

I'm behind where I thought I'd be, but I'm not worried about things yet, it's very early in the month, and coming up with the right concept is the hard part, the rest is pretty much painting by numbers.

After yesterday's post, I think I struck out with concepts, maybe I fouled one or two off, but certainly nothing worth bragging about. To Andrew I'd just mention (in response to a comment he left) that these are extremely rough, and things like a tree, or a pose, or whatever it may be, is not my concern. I'm looking for a rough idea of how to compose the cover, but the details are very malleable at this point. I can promise that whatever we decide to go with, it'll look pretty good once I'm done.

For this first one, I was thinking of the man with no eyes standing in silhouette within the mouth of the tunnel... although in this case, it's more like the mouth of a Mexican restaurant... but hopefully, the idea is there. I like this idea a lot, because the darkness of the tunnel can be used as a framing device.


I like the second one here as well, again, the man with no eyes is only seen as a scary shadow, a shadow that doesn't look anything like Freddy Krueger. If I worked on this some more I'd probably try to isolate Tib a bit more and make him look more alone.

I'll just keep on plugging away come tomorrow.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the first one. Has potential. What does Andrew think?

Andrew Leon said...

Both of these are good ideas; the first one, though, makes me think of the scene in "The Bedroom" with the shadow of the Man framed in the window and Tib asleep beneath. Maybe with one or two of the shadow spiders weaving their web over the window.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

You're really doing well. Best of luck in completing your work.

Andrew Leon said...

Oh, and make sure you stop by for "I;" I think you'll appreciate it.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I really like the way you infuse all these shadows into your work. It's really interesting and makes for some sinister images. Love it.

Jay Noel said...

Hmmmm...I like the first one a lot. But the shadow play on the bottom one is very cool.