Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for... Epic Fail

It's A to Z time. Read all about the exploits of others.... here.

For myself, this month is an attempt to go from concept to completion for a cover for Andrew Leon's Shadow Spinner novel. It's a chance to see at all the crap I have to throw up before I come up with something I can live with.

When we last left off, I lamented my failure to save files often enough and I lost a day's worth of work. Then, I got the idea to do a rendered fellow instead of a painted one. In all, I think I've decided that I don't like my rendered guy very much. But I would post what I did anyway... this is the sort of thing I would normally delete and never mention, but perhaps Andrew will see something in this and say, "ooh, that's interesting... do blah blah blah."

Anywho, I'll try to whip up a sketch, or maybe two, for tomorrow, then see if Andrew has a clear direction he wants me to go.


By the way, I appreciate the comments. Thanks everyone.

12 comments:

Tony Laplume said...

Not knowing anything about Shadow Spinner itself, my thought would be to have one of those book spinners as the central image, with a boy having his shadow twisted around it, like an outtake from Peter Pan's famous struggle. Probably horribly complicated.

Nick Wilford said...

Looks good to me! I don't have anything more constructive to offer though.

Andrew Leon said...

I like the script you used for the title, but it's probably not appropriate for Spinner.

The thing with the shadow is interesting, but the stone wall doesn't fit. However, it makes me think of using the coffee shop from chapter 6 as a setting.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think it looks really cool! No epic fail.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Its great! I like it a lot. Edge of Your Seat Romance

Trisha said...

This is still a great bit of art, even if it's not right for the book :)

Jo said...

What happened to the tunnel Rusty?

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Briane said...

D I don't see why you keep saying these are failures. These are really good.

What I find most interesting is watching you work through these. I had no idea that you would do up a whole picture. But you've got a ton of talent.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

The cover's coming along nicely. I really love the font choice.

Mina Lobo said...

I actually really dig how the shadow represents something larger, fiercer within the boy than he seems to think he's capable of. (That may not be at all pertinent to the story, or what you were trying to convey, but that's what i took from it.)
Some Dark Romantic

Unknown said...

Very cool! Just visiting today from the A-Z Challenge Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

Jay Noel said...

I think it's pretty intriguing! Reminds me of the movie poster to Star Wars Episode I. I know, bad comparison. Unless Shadow Spinner has Jar-Jar in it, I'm sure it's a billion times better.